marți, 4 martie 2008

Legitimati finally!


Four trips to Suceava and I finally have my legitimati. This is rather important as I would not be allowed back in the country without it now. You are allowed to come to Romania in the first place and are supposed to apply for a legitimate shortly after beginning to work. I gather it is something like our Green Card. I have collected quite a bit of paperwork to put this in place. I did what I was asked to do at each juncture of the process. Without the card, I should have left the country before I had been here ninety days and then returned. It seems that you can leave the country every ninety days and return and the process period is extended for another ninety days. I had forgotten about this until the ninety days already passed and so I had to hope that the card would be there.

Each time previously, the policeman had asked that I return after thirty days. The last time, he did not give me a date and so I waited the thirty days and went anyway. It was a beautiful day and the ride was uneventful. IT was the Friday before Christmas when I arrived and walked to the police station and found the policeman still in the office. I asked if my legitimate was ready and he pulled an envelope from his drawer. I am not sure how long it had been there, but this time he did not call me to tell me. I wonder how long he would have left it there without contacting me.



I managed to find my way back to the hitch-hike place and get a ride back to Gura Humorului, and then a ride in the maxitaxi to Manasterii. Back to the peaceful horse and carutes. They have the