duminică, 9 decembrie 2007

Gaudeamus International Book Fair


It has been interesting to me what there is and isn't in Romania. I have found a dearth of English reading matter. I brought boxes of books over with me, mostly for teaching, but a few to read. It is a good thing as I have only been able to find one book in English in Suceava and a shelf of them, mostly classics I have already read, in Timisoara, but I hit paydirt in Bucharest at the Book Fair. There are not just books, but dealers with whole walls of books in English. Recent books in English. Two I actually have on my "to Read" list! I had such a wonderful time there on Friday that I went back on Saturday for more.

On the way to Gaudeamus there was a musician playing a classical piece as we rode the Metro. I am getting better and better at finding my way on the subway system. It is always so interesting what you find.

You have to love a country where the Minister of Culture and the Minister of Education come to the Book Fair to welcome the booksellers and the public. I am not sure there are many other places where reading and philosophical discussions are so celebratedAs I wandered about the stalls, I found that there were hundreds of books in English. There were gazillions of books about philosophy which is heartening to see. One thing they have right here is that the students are taught to think about the decisions they make. Authors are celebrated and thinkers are listened to. What a unique way to behave as a country.


The Book Fair is held in what looks like a huge arena, but is apparently, the Exposition Centre. They are rebuilding the main drive and so an alternate entrance has been arranged. As we walk to the building I have the feeling we are headed to a spaceship and that we will soon be transported to another planet. I guess the world of books really is another planet, so it is well situated here.

On Saturday morning, I noticed traffic was exceptionally awful this morning. This motorcade passed as we walked. Offhandedly, I wondered aloud if it was the President going to Gaudeamus. Turns out, it WAS doing just that. It seems that I was walking to the Exposition Centre at the same time as the President was arriving. He spoke for quite a while. I imagine he was talking about great books he has read and how reading is good for you. I was not able to follow much of what he said and there was no one to translate. I was able to get within arm's reach of him which I found interesting. Certainly would not have happened in America. He looked like he had just left his overstuffed chair in the library. A casual man today.

There are thousands of people here at the book exposition. Browsing is not really the word for it. It is pretty much push-and-shove to get from booth to booth. It is certainly wonderful to see so many interested in books. People are carrying sacks and sacks of books away with them. I am looking for a book written by a Romanian that is currently on the New York Times Best Seller list. The language barrier makes it interesting. I have been directed to all sorts of displays, none of which have the book I want. Finally, I find it, newly translated in Romanian. I was actually looking for the English version. The author is working at building a bridge between America and Romania through her writing. There are now four books published in this YA series. The latest is Vampirii Sudului, Vampire Witch in English, a rather odd translation. I have finally found a copy and it is a good read so far.

I had expected to find the classics as I have found in the bookstores, but there are best-sellers too. I had planned to go home lighter than I had arrived. I see that is not going to happen. As it turned out, I broke the zipper on my suitcase trying to cram too much in it. I have Bill Bryson's latest and an interesting series of essays about Romanians titled, Us Against Ourselves among others. I will have plenty to read over the winter.

I found a lovely book of photographic images of Romania by George Avanu. The artist was there and he smiled for the camera. His pictures really capture the flavor of the country. I am sure it will be on my coffee table when I return for some time.


I thoroughly enjoyed spending the day surrounded by the smell of new books and readers of all sorts. Somehow the day slipped away and it was twilight when I began my walk back to the hotel. It is late and I have managed to fill my backpack with some excellent reads for the long winter months. The moon shines through the trees on this early autumn evening while thousands of Romanians rush home in their cars. It seems that there are two million people in Bucharest and one million cars. I don't think we are even that bad in America. Mostly the cars sit. I had been on a bus but when it took 45 minutes to go three city blocks, I decided that I could get there sooner if I walk. It was a warm day and so the fog is settling in for the evening.

1 comentarii:

Anonim spunea...

@Cynthia : I was trying to give you a message nonetheless can’t believe that it is for your web site.
Do you remember to visit my site?
Also visit my webpage : Background Investigation